Do I have to file for Divorce to get child support? NO 235-1970

GOOD MORNING FLINT! date 01/27/13

QUESTION:My husband was arrested for domestic violence and there is a no contact order. Since he is not in the home and not providing any support for the kids can I file for temporary child support?

By Terry R. Bankert [trb] ,, Flint Divorce & Bankruptcy 810-235-1970

RESPONSE:A child has an inherent right to the support of his or her natural parents. MCL 722.3(1); People v Coleman, 325 Mich 618, 39 NW2d 201 (1949).

The Family Support Act (when parents are married to each other but have not filed for divorce . see MCL 552.451

Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: